Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Most Shocking Memorial


When I traveled to Europe I stopped at Berlin for a couple of days. I walked around and admired the beautiful murals around the city advocating liberty, equality and freedom. After I walked around the city and appreciate all of the artistic talent I ended up with a very shocking memorial to the murdered Jews in Europe, in front of me. I had a basic knowledge about this moment in history, but I never experienced the feeling of being surrounded by it. Peter Eisenman designed this memorial also known as The Holocaust Memorial, he arranged more then 2000 concrete slabs and organized them in a grid. The interesting part of this is that you can actually walk inside of this grid. As soon as you go deep into the grid the height of the slabs grow and you end up seeing nothing but concrete slabs around you. You get the feeling of walking around a labyrinth, in where you can get easily lost and confused. It is impressive how you cannot really hear that much outside of this grid only people’s steps and conversations, mostly silence. It is absolutely amazing the chills you get from being in here, since all of those concrete slabs represent the people who died in the Holocaust. You instantly just get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment